Getting a LIM

Send us a message
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Getting a LIM

A Land Information Memorandum (LIM) report is a summary of information that the council holds on a property. 

A LIM can alert you to any significant issues and help you decide whether to buy the property or not, or whether you should adjust the price you are willing to pay for it.

 A LIM can have quite a lot of information, or not much – it depends on how much the council has had to do with the property.

A LIM can help you confirm that any alterations to a building have been consented and signed off (code compliance certificate has been issued).  LIMs also highlight any recorded problems with the land, e.g. flooding or erosion hazards.

A LIM will include:

  • Special land features or characteristics (including potential erosion, slippage or subsidence), flooding of any type and possible contamination or hazardous substances
  • Information on private and public storm-water and sewerage drains
  • Rates information including any rates owing
  • Any consents, notices, orders or requisitions affecting the land or buildings
  • District Plan classifications that relate to the land or buildings
  • Special conditions including NZ Historic Places Trust listings
  • Network utility in relation to the Building Act 1991 or 2004.
  • Any other information the Council deems relevant such as compliance certificates
  • Licences

Auckland Council’s standard LIM service costs $275 (incl GST). An urgent LIM costs $380 (incl GST).

By law Council has to provide the information within 10 days of the request (and payment).

What is the difference between a LIM and a property file?

A LIM is a summary of information that is held on a property, whereas a property file will hold additional, detailed information that is not included in a LIM report, such as:

Building and resource consent documentation

Correspondence about the property.

What council has on file depends on what has been done on the property since the original building was constructed, and relevance to the property, e.g. licence and registration information.

How to get a LIM

The process for applying for a LIM depends on where the property is located, but you may have the option to order a LIM online or in person.

Find out more here: Auckland Council

It is a good idea to look over the LIM with your lawyer as they have experience with LIMs and can help you understand the full implications of anything the LIM reveals.

There are limits to what a LIM will tell you.  It will not cover aspects the council doesn’t know about such as unpermitted work or the condition of the property.  Older properties may have incomplete records.

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

We are here to make getting a
mortgage or finance easy

It's that easy, with Edge Mortgages. All it takes is a phone call!
Scroll to Top